This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of ADM. All opinions are 100% mine.
When it’s summer, is there anything better than a refreshing drink full of flavor?? We don’t think so. In fact, we love exploring new cocktail recipes and making them with fresh ingredients filled with fascinating flavors.
Margaritas are a classic. This sweet, sour, and salty drink is one of the most popular in the world. It is easy to replicate, and there are hundreds of versions for every taste. This summer, we added cape gooseberries and serrano peppers for a special twist to this classic.
Some of you might be wondering what cape gooseberries are and what they taste like? Cape gooseberries, also called goldenberries, are a bright golden yellow fruit. They have a unique flavor: sweet, tart, tangy and tropical, and are loaded with nutrients. You’ll instantly notice both sweet and sour flavors when the berry bursts in your mouth.
You can enjoy cape gooseberries in a variety of ways:
• You can eat them like you eat grapes and cherry tomatoes, for snacks.
• Swap the cherry tomatoes with cape gooseberries and use them in sauces and salads.
• Add them to a cheeseboard
• They are also great in desserts and make for a tasty gooseberry curd cheesecake.
• They also work well in cocktails.
Serrano peppers are versatile chiles that are not too spicy and not too mild. Their perfect balance of heat makes them delicious in a wide range of dishes and drinks.
Cape gooseberries and serrano peppers are on ADM’s list as two of the top 5 ingredients that should be on everyone’s radar this Summer. ADM is a leader in the development of ingredients and flavors for foods and beverages. ADM believes that ingredients do not have to be used in certain ways. Instead, being creative with different flavor and ingredients combinations unlocks limitless opportunities to experiment with different trends. We could not agree more!! Experimenting with new ingredients and flavors is fun, and you will most likely create something unique and personal. We decided to incorporate both the cape gooseberries and serrano peppers in our favorite summer drink.
Where to buy cape gooseberries and serrano peppers?
The major grocery stores carry both cape gooseberries and serrano peppers. They are in the produce section and can be found year-round. The gooseberries can also be labeled as goldenberries.
Now that you know more about the two secret ingredients that we will add to our margarita let’s jump to the recipe.
To make the best margarita mix, you need to have on hand two main ingredients:
• Tequila: Silver or reposado is considered to be the best tequila for margaritas, but any type of tequila will work.
• Freshly squeezed lime juice: Fresh flavors are always the best, so we recommend juicing your own limes right before you make your cocktails.
These two ingredients are the base of any margarita. The following ingredients are the add-ons that will give your drink that special twist.
• Fruit: nearly every fruit pairs well with tequila. As we like to be creative with different flavors, we incorporated the cape gooseberries into this famous drink.
• Something sweet: If you would like to sweeten your margarita, we recommend adding agave syrup, simple syrup, or any other sweetener of your choice.
• Spice it up: The serrano pepper has a nice flavor and mild heat. Its heat pairs so well with the fresh lime juice and the cape gooseberry. Just make sure not to add too many seeds, as that is where the heat hides. You should also keep in mind that the longer the pepper sits in the drink, the spicier it will get.
• Club Soda: A splash of Club Soda will add a little fizz to the drink.
• Last, but not least…ICE!
That is all you need to have your spicy, tart, slightly sweet, and refreshing spicy cape gooseberry margarita!!! The full recipe is below.
• 6 Cape Gooseberries
• 2 oz Tequila
• 1 tbsp Freshly Squeezed lime juice
• 1/2 Serrano Pepper
• Splash of Club Soda
• Agave – optional
1. Add the gooseberries to a cocktail shaker along with the lime juice.
2. Muddle the gooseberries with a muddler, add tequila and shake vigorously.
3. Pour into a cocktail glass, fill with ice, add a splash of club soda and add the serrano pepper.